BRS WORKSHOP | Designing Effective Academic Posters
Six basics steps to effectively communicate your science
Academic posters are an integral part of almost any scientific conference. Their purpose is to highlight and communicate research results as effectively and vividly as possible and invite discussion. The workshop conveys the key principles of poster design and layout technique.
Participants learn how to develop a clearly structured poster in order to attract the attention of their target audience. They will acquire essential design skills on how to present a research work visually well organized, appealing and focused on the most relevant items. The theoretical part is followed by a practice session and provides ample time to concept and design the own academic poster as well as to evaluate and discuss the poster draft with the group.
09:00 – 11:00
- communication – structure, main message, target audience, objectives, intended impact
- corporate design and poster templates
- design basics – typography, colour, proportional balance, visualisation, composition
11:15 – 12:15
- professional layout technique – design with grid and columns
- how to set up and work with poster templates
13:15 – 15:00
- Practice time to design or redesign your poster at home or office
15:00 – 16:00
- Timeframe for questions – first feedback – hints and tips how to work on
17:00 - 18:00
- Poster Feedback Follow-up
Make sure that you have Adobe InDesign CC (optionally PowerPoint) ready on your computer as well as text and image material of your current research project.
We are offering this course FREE to the first 10 participants who bindingly register for our annual Poster Contest, which is part of the "Wissenschaftstag 2021" on 17th November 2021.
This workshop offers a valuable basis for all your posters and the Poster Contest provides a great platform to test your new skills. If you are interested in taking this course and would like to register for the Poster Contest please contact us via email: research-school[at]uni-weimar.de
Deadline to register for the Poster Contest: 01.10.2021
Registration Deadline: 01 October 2021
Instructor: Birgit Lukowski
Date & Time:
19.10.2021 | 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM | Basics Poster Design - Poster Practice
21.10.2021 | 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM | Poster Feedback-Follow-up
Course language: English
Module: This workshop can be credited in the BRS Qualification Programme Module "Academic Soft Skills".
Conditions of participation
This workshop is primarily aimed towards doctoral candidates of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. Participation in this workshop is subject to a participation fee. For doctoral candidates of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, this is a fee of 15,00 €. Please note the applicable conditions of participation according to the Terms of Usage for Qualification Courses at the Bauhaus Research School. We will inform you about the payment modalities by e-mail after you have registered for the course here in the portal.
Depending on capacity, other members and affiliates of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, as well as external interested parties, can also participate in the qualification courses. Participation is also subject to a participation fee. If you are interested, please contact the Bauhaus Research School directly in advance by e-mail to email@example.com.
- Kommunikation und Präsentation
- 1. Termin:
- Dienstag, 19. Oktober 2021, 09:00 Uhr - 16:00 Uhr
- 2. Termin:
- Freitag, 22. Oktober 2021, 09:00 Uhr - 10:00 Uhr
- Montag, 09. August 2021, 00:00 Uhr
- Freitag, 01. Oktober 2021, 23:59 Uhr
- Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021, 23:59 Uhr
- Maximalanzahl Teilnehmer/innen:
- 15,00 €