BRS WORKSHOP | Thesis Defense Training
During their thesis defence, doctoral candidates have to give a presentation of 30 to 45 minutes which is followed by a discussion. This workshop is designed to prepare doctoral candidates optimally for this situation.
In the first part of the workshop, the participants get practical tips for their introductory presentation: how to structure the presentation, how to build up the central argument, what language to use, etc.
The second part of the workshop deals with typical problems that occur during the discussion: How to respond to criticism and "killer-questions", how to deal with stage fright and black-outs, etc.
In the third part of the workshop, participants get the chance to give their presentation and to receive feedback from the group and from the trainer.
- Tips and exercises for a convincing presentation
- Types of questions (counter-arguments, critical questions etc.) and how to
deal with them
- Setting and roles during the defence
- How to deal with stage fright and blackouts
- Presentations by participants and feedback from the group and the trainer
- give a convincing and well-structured presentation
- deal in a confident manner with counter-arguments and critical questions
- are well prepared and feel confident about their thesis defence
The methods are interactive throughout the workshop. The participants get the chance to practice their presentation and to receive feedback from the group and from the trainer.
Registration Deadline: 15 October 2020
Instructor: Jonas Zahn
Date & Time: 29.-30.10.2020 | 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Course language: English
Module: This workshop can be credited in the BRS Qualification Programme Module "Academic Soft Skills".
Conditions of participation
This workshop is primarily aimed towards doctoral candidates of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. Participation in this workshop is subject to a participation fee. For doctoral candidates of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, this is a fee of 30,00 €. Please note the applicable conditions of participation according to the Terms of Usage for Qualification Courses at the Bauhaus Research School. We will inform you about the payment modalities by e-mail after you have registered for the course here in the portal.
Depending on capacity, other members and affiliates of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, as well as external interested parties, can also participate in the qualification courses. Participation is also subject to a participation fee. If you are interested, please contact the Bauhaus Research School directly in advance by e-mail to email@example.com.
Bauhaus Research School, Marienstr. 14. Room 201
- 1. Termin:
- Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2020, 10:00 Uhr - 18:00 Uhr
- 2. Termin:
- Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 10:00 Uhr - 18:00 Uhr
- Samstag, 01. Februar 2020, 00:00 Uhr
- Donnerstag, 15. Oktober 2020, 23:59 Uhr
- Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2020, 23:59 Uhr
- Maximalanzahl Teilnehmer/innen:
- 30,00 €