BRS WORKSHOP |Presenting in English
BRS In-house Workshop / IPID4ALL
Instructor: Lorraine Mannion
Presenting research results at conferences is a key component of doctoral research. Along with academic journals, conferences are one of the main ways through which researchers share ideas and new developments. They also provide a useful platform for clarifying ideas and understanding related concepts. The aim of this workshop is to promote an understanding of what makes a ‘good’ presentation and to translate this understanding into individual presentations. One of the main challenges facing conference participants is translating one’s research from the written to the oral medium, i.e. compressing a substantial research paper into a short talk. While written material can be reread, oral material cannot be re-heard. Therefore it is important that both the delivery and volume of material are appropriate to the given setting and that the language used communicates well orally. During the workshop participants will have the opportunity to give a 10-minute presentation on their own research topic, which will subsequently be refined using both peer and instructor feedback. Presentation skills covered include structuring a presentation, sign-posting, handling questions, rhetorical techniques, as well as improving one’s overall fluency. Participants will benefit from intensive interaction with other participants.
- to identify and avoid traditional pitfalls in oral presentations
- to implement appropriate tools for the oral medium, while carefully aligning structure, design and information content
- to improve accuracy, sophistication and clarity
- to understand the strengths (and potential weaknesses) of one’s personal presentation style
- Stage presence
- Sequencing ideas using storytelling techniques
- Signposting/transitional language
- Intonation and pitch
- Using media skillfully
- Non-verbal communication
- Handling difficult situations e.g. during Q & A sessions
- The workshop is aimed towards all doctoral candidates of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
- The workshop will be taught in English.
- The workshop is limited to 8 participants.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE | 07.02.2019
DATE & TIME| 21.-22.02.2019 | 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
LOCATION| Marienstraße 14, Room 201
See the BRS course page for our complete workshop calendar!
Marienstraße 14, Raum/Room 201
- 1. Termin:
- Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2019, 10:00 Uhr - 17:00 Uhr
- 2. Termin:
- Freitag, 22. Februar 2019, 10:00 Uhr - 17:00 Uhr
- Donnerstag, 15. November 2018, 12:00 Uhr
- Donnerstag, 07. Februar 2019, 23:45 Uhr
- Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2019, 23:45 Uhr
- Maximalanzahl Teilnehmer/innen: